Reference Guide & Assembly Instructions
Please read these instructions in their entirety before you start your project and be sure to follow these steps carefully to ensure the durability and safety of your deck.
Circular Saw Or Miter Saw
Carbide Tip Steel Saw Blades
Work Gloves & Safety Glasses
Caulk Gun & Exterior Flashing Sealant
Deck Structure Requirements
(Refer to the Load And Span chart below for specific lbs. per sq. ft. ratings.)
Minimum Pitch Away From House: 1⁄8” per foot
How It Works: Installation Overview
1 1/2" Hex Head
T-25 Torx Trim
*** Failure to do this could result in additional delivery charges should you find problems later. ***
Before You Start
Make sure all structural joists and ledger flashing are free of debris and dirt. For drainage purposes, make sure there is 1⁄8” per foot slope away from any point where the end of a board will be perpendicular to a wall.
This drip edge flashing is intended to overlap a typical gutter collection channel. This flashing is used to protect the header framing below from contact with drainage water.
Step 1: Fasten Start Board
Position the starter board and attach it to the deck with the appropriate screws (1 1/2” hex head), screwing into every joist (typically 24” apart).
The start board, unlike the main boards and finish board, requires a screw on both sides of the board. Ensure the first board is properly aligned because each subsequent board follows this alignment.
Step 2: Install Channel Plugs
The channel plug has a pre-applied adhesive that affixes to the bottom of the gutter. These channel plugs are backup protection should the decking not have the appropriate pitch from the house.
Step 3: Install Main Board
Ripping A Finish Board
The fastener flange is removed when the finish board is ripped, so you need to add a filler strip to support and attach to the edge of the finish board.
Finishing Open Sides
Lay the trim along the edge of the decking and remember to leave a space for water drainage. Screw through the top of the Profile Trim into the decking, approximately every 18” using 1” self-tapping color-matched Torx screws. (Requires a T-25 bit.)
Flashing Against Exterior Walls
*This flashing is in addition to, not instead of, standard ledger flashing. It is ideal to install flashing behind the siding, if possible.
Installing Profile Gaskets
Each plug is designed to be slightly larger than the profile it is intended for, so it has to be compressed to fit into place. Be sure to install these gaskets after the decking is fastened down to the framing and before you install the profile trim.
Installing Profile Gaskets
*Refer to the “Wahoo Rail Installation Guide” for complete rail installation details.
Reference Guide For Code Compliance
- Aluminum: Meets specifications and guidelines for aluminum structures as recommended by AA ADM 1 and required by International Building Code (IBC).
- Outdoor Exposure: Meets durability requirements of AAMA 2603.02.
- Design: Interlocking boards provide gapless, single layer watertight decking surface.
- Material: 6005-T5 Series Marine grade aluminum.
- Finish Type: Powder coating.
- Color: As scheduled and indicated on Drawings. Ash Grey or Sandstone.
- Fabrication: Extruded.
- Hidden Fastener System: Integral, no pre-drilling required.
- Hardware: 410 stainless steel screws.
- Strength: approx. 400 lbs per square foot (psf) at joist spacing of 24 inches.
- Pitch: 1⁄8 inch (3 mm) downward pitch per linear foot recommended.
- Overhang: 2 inch (51 mm) overhang beyond the header joist on drainage end to prevent possible backsplash.
- Available Lengths: Provide extrusions as scheduled and indicated on Drawings.
- 36 ft (10973 mm) extruded length.
- By Length: 1 lb (0.45 kg) per linear foot (305 mm).
- By Area: 2 lb (0.9 kg) per square foot (92904 mm2).
- Start Boards:
- Design: Incorporates tongue receivers to accept main boards.
- Width: 5- 1⁄2 inches (140 mm)
- Main Boards:
- Design: Can be ripped lengthwise to cover non-standard deck widths.
- Width: 6 inches (152 mm).
- Finish Boards:
- Design: Incorporates tongues to fit into receivers of main boards. (Can be ripped lengthwise to cover non-standard deck widths.)
- Width: 5- 1⁄2 inches (140 mm).
- Trim and Channel Plugs: To provide a finished appearance.
- Design: Serves as drip edge on drainage side.
- Types: Profile Trim, Color Matched Flashing, and T Trim.